Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The map

Okie dokie! Based on my extensive research---thank you, Google---a standard size for a twin bed quilt is about 68 inches x 88 inches. And since I'm a big fan of simplifying things, I've decided to round up and go with 70 inches x 90 inches for Kira's quilt. Not only will this make it easier to determine the block sizes, but this will also allow for a little extra overhang once the quilt is done. Here's the rough map:
As you can see, this quilt map isn't really that proportional, but it's close enough to give you the gist. Using this as guide, I can map out the whole game plan.
  • I'm going to have to make sixty-three 10.5 inches x 10.5 inches quilt blocks (omg!)
  • Those quilt blocks will be made up of five strips of fabric that are 2.5 inches wide x 10.5 inches long
  • This means that I'm going to have to cut out 315 strips of fabric
**I'm budgeting for a 1/4 inch seam allowance on these strips of fabric, as well as the resulting quilt blocks.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me (badumCHI)!

No comments:

Post a Comment